Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Things that have particularly reminded me of my Parents

My mother would LOVE all the flowers and plants here.  She always enjoyed tropical flowers in the Cayman Islands when we went there to scuba dive.  She would also be happy for me that our pool guy also takes care of our yard because I did not inherit that love/talent for growing things from her.

I saw a sign for a dive shop the other day that made me smile and think of my Dad.  He was always a very hard worker but played even harder when it was time to play.  The sign said "Dive now, Work later"  Daddy first learned to scuba dive when he was at Ga Tech in the 1960s-all rubber wetsuit and a round mask without a separate space for your nose.  When I was 15 and he came home and said "hey would you like to learn to scuba dive?"  I had no idea the fun that I was going to get to enjoy.  We took lessons from an instructor who came to our pool-me and 3 dear friends and many more later.  Greg said that Daddy wouldn't let him marry me until he was a certified diver-not really the truth. 

I think that Daddy would also be amused at some of our electrical/plumbing issues we have dealt with since being here-plugs, how to explain to our kids what bidets are, and having to get the contractors to fix reversed handles on one of our faucets-"Why does hot water come out when I turn on the blue faucet?"

I also noticed that on the sign as you come in our neighborhood it says that Ayala Alabang Village is a bird sanctuary.  My grandmother (mom's mom) was a bird "NUT."  There is just no other way to put it-she enjoyed watching them, collecting bird figurines, and even had one of those crazy clocks.  "GreatMommy" would be happy to know that we are living in a bird sanctuary.

No comments:

Post a Comment