Thursday, August 11, 2011

The Driver Miscommunication

Monday, Aug 8th began the kids first whole week at school.  We arrived at school at 7:30.  Ryan wanted me to go with him, just one more day.  So Ashley and I got out with him at the ELC and went in.  I told Scott goodbye, to have a good day, and reminded him where we would meet him that afternoon.  I thought I told the driver that I would text him when we were ready to go home, meaning me and Ashley.  Either our driver, Chris, didn't understand or I didn't tell him clearly enough that he was supposed to take Scott to the other building to drop him off. 

Ryan, Ashley, and I went in, played on the playground, and then Ryan went to class.  Ashley and I went to the library to read books.  We had been reading for quite a while, it was 9:00am-school started at 8:00.  Scott and Chris coming walking in the library.  My first thought was that Scott was sick and his teacher had gotten in touch with Chris for some reason.  Chris had sent me a text at 8:30 but I hadn't heard the signal on my phone. 

He and Scott had been SITTING IN THE VAN the whole time expecting me to text.  Chris felt SO bad that I tried to keep the look of horror off my face.  We went to the Lower School office, got Scott a tardy pass, and walked him to class.  I stuck my head in and apologized to the teacher and said that we had a miscommunication with the driver.  She laughed and said "that happens all the time here."  I sent her an email that night to explain and she said it very well that we are divided by a common language here.  It made a great story for Scott's writer's notebook that day. I'm sure that Chris' ears were worn out after spending that long in the van with Scott!  Oh well-doesn't everyone want to be tardy on the 3rd day of school?

No comments:

Post a Comment