Tuesday, August 23, 2011

More tales from the grocery stores

I bet all of you have eaten Pringles potato chips.  They have some very creative people working for them who come up with new and interesting flavors to produce.  I bought a can today to try of extreme dill pickle and they are pickle-y, don't know that anyone else will eat those but me and I could only eat a few at a time-not a bad thing I guess.  However I have to tell you about the Pringles I did NOT buy-Seaweed flavored ones, Indonesian satay ones, and Bangkok grilled chicken wing ones.  Have you ever had Seaweed flavored Pringles????  I don't think they even sold them at the Woodruff Rd. Wal-Mart! I also saw shrimp and prawn flavored potato chips today. 

If you judge purely by what I have seen in the 7 grocery stores that I have been in-everyone on the island could live on vienna sausages (sadly the pork kind isn't to be found) canned tuna-in an unbelievable number of varieties, and marshmallow candies-I like candy and junk food as much as anyone, but I'd much prefer chocolate over these squishy things.

Another funny thing-which is more funny now that we know we can get "normal" milk here is that I read on the grocery store aisle label-goat milk.  This was just a couple of aisles over from bottled fish.  Since Ashley was at school this morning and I was roaming the grocery store, with no extra "helpers", I decided to see what goat's milk looked like but I sadly couldn't find anything that I thought was it.

At S and R, they have pink milk-surely, you think, I am kidding but no.  Ashley saw it and wanted it.  I read the label and it is strawbery milk-she would probably like it and not want the boring old white kind anymore.

A few other interesting things I saw-
-something called grass jelly-It sort of looks like Jello in a glass jar and there are shelves of that too-what's wrong with buying it in a box and making it at home-according to wikipedia it is
Grass jelly is made by boiling the aged and slightly oxidized stalks and leaves of Mesona chinensis[1][2] (member of the mint family) with potassium carbonate for several hours with a little starch and then cooling the liquid to a jelly-like consistency.[1][3] This jelly can be cut into cubes or other forms, and then mixed with syrup to produce a drink or dessert thought to have cooling (yin) properties, which makes it typically consumed during hot weather. The jelly itself has a slight bitter taste, a light iodine lavender flavor, and is a translucent black. It can also be mixed with soy milk to produce a milky white liquid with black strands in it.

doesn't sound or look appetizing to me!

-sadly, I did find string cheese butdidn't buy any because it was $6.00 for 8 pieces-another reason to miss Wal-Mart

Well-please send me an email and put in your order, when we come home next summer, I'll be glad to bring you some seaweed Pringles or grass jelly!

No comments:

Post a Comment