Monday, November 21, 2011

What we have been up to lately

We continue to learn to live with adjustments here-

-Ryan said one morning recently "I want a biscuit like I liked in America for breakfast!"  I told him that I would like one too but can't buy them here.  What he is referring to is what my mom called "whackys"  because they are canned biscuits that you "whack" on the counter to open the can after peeling off the label.   Something to look forward to having this summer when we visit.

-Greg and I went to dinner at the home of our friends-Jaime and Fran-They moved here from Chile about a month ago.  We were joined by two other Fluor employees from Chile.  We had a delicious meal and a good time together visiting and talking about settling in in Manila.  It was funny though, every once in a while, the 4 of them would be talking in Spanish and Greg and I would look at each other and start chatting about our day.  That's another thing I take for granted in America-assuming everyone speaks English.  I really admire their efforts to  converse in English well and smoothly.

-We still run into language barriers even if speaking English to a Filipino sometimes-I was calling the studio where Ashley is going to be taking ballet to ask if she needed a skirt or just a plain leotard-I tried to identify myself as Ashley's mom and that she would be coming to class for the first time on Tuesday.  The lady just kept telling me she would see me on Tuesday.  I asked the question about 5 times and never got an answer to what I was really asking-AAAHHHHH!  I don't know if it was purely a communication thing or also a cell phone reception issue.  Oh well-we have bought something and will show up on Tuesday and see if it is the same as what everyone else has on???

-We gave the kids an early Christmas present-a small plastic slide for by the pool-an idea totally stolen from a friend we visited here.  You can see that all the kids LOVE it!





No comments:

Post a Comment