Saturday, November 5, 2011

United Nations Day at Brent School

 This is Scott's 3rd grade class coming outside for the United Nations Costume Parade-Scott is hanging over the stair rail and not looking at me.  I heard his teacher (the one in the black shirt) say to the class that the parade was mostly about all the moms taking pictures and she was right but it was really neat and I am glad that I skipped Bible study to go and see this.  All the kids were encouraged to wear their national costume or something from another country-Scott chose to wear the new shirt Greg brought him home from Chile.  Many of the costumes were much more elaborate!
 This is a 4th grade class. The boy in the American flag shirt is one of our next door neighbors.
 Ashley and I wore our red, white, and blue!
 There were some who dressed up as famous people from a country-I saw more than one person dressed as the Statue of Liberty and at least one Abraham Lincoln look alike
 I loved all the little oriental girls in their beautiful outfits-Ashley kept saying "OOOOOHHH!  Look at her dress Mommy!"
 Ashley has become SO multicultural since we have been here-she saw this mom and little girl (wearing a native Philippine costume) and said "look Mommy, it's Snow White!"  I told her they were wearing the correct colors but were NOT Snow White.
 Bravo to this brave dad in his kilt!
 more beautiful costumes
 This very attractive lady walking with the girl in the leprechaun hat is Ryan's teacher-Mrs. Avecilla
 Here is Ryan in his red, white, and blue.  In front of him is his new friend Alex (mom and dad both work at Fluor) who has been here a very short time-having moved from Texas.
 Another friend in Ryan's class named Angel
 It does look like it was all about moms taking pictures!  This is the oval shaped track that is between the "big school" 3rd-12th grade and the ELC-Early Learning Center-nursery-2nd grade.

 Scott is in the middle of this pictures with his arms raised about something
 Ryan's class posed for a class photo
 Each child in Ryan's class had to make themselves and decorate with things from their country-Ryan put a cheeseburger, slice of apple pie, a picture of the White House, Statue of Liberty, and our trip to Stone Mountain this summer, and is wearing a baseball cap and holding an American glag.  He also colored his clothes red, white and blue-a fun project.

 No trip to Brent is complete without some playing on the playground

 Ashley as a Philippine lady and driving a Jeepney again!


 Each child got a passport to have stamped as they visited each country's table.
 An Indonesian or Malaysian dancer who performed for us
 Ryan's class in the gym during the cultural fair


 Here are Ashley and I volunteering at the USA table-next to me is my next door neighbor, Lisa, who is from Minnesota.
 This is the Philippine game called Tinikling-where the kids are supposed to jump 1st between the bamboo poles and then to either side.

Below are 4 moms from India who danced for us.



And finally-I know you are relieved, if anyone is still reading and looking, Ashley, my extremely multicultural 3 year old said "mommy, look there's Queen Amidala!"  Sadly I understood why she thought that especially with the unusual headress!  Oh well-we can say that we went to Manila and met Snow White and Queen Amidala!  Seriously it was a great day at school and I don't see how the kids could come away from that without learning something about a foreign country or two-just maybe a little mixed up.  I asked Ryan his favorite and he told me China-I asked why and he said "because we got to play hockey"  I told him that was in Canada! 





2 comments:

  1. I'm proud to say that I, too, know who Queen Amidala is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pictures! It looked like opening ceremonies for the Olympics. I loved Ashley's comments. She was doing her best to make sense of it all within her scope of knowledge... and she is THE expert in your house on princesses...

    ReplyDelete