Tuesday, November 1, 2011

House Hunting in Manila

I am glad that I didn't read this before we came-but it makes me laugh (and still cringe a little even now)-The Inklings magazine is published by the American Women's Club-I don't know Julie but many of these are true of our house.  My comments are added by *  Hope this will give you a laugh for today-I have already made a couple of new posts before this one too!

Taken from Inklings magazine-by Julie Stangler
10 Tips for Expats Looking for Homes in Manila
The other day I was looking at an American magazine that had an article called “Tips for Home Buyers”  I thought it might have some useful tips for newcomers looking for houses in Manila.  It didn’t so I have written my own. . .
1.      Don’t be discouraged by the gaping holes that appear to have been dynamited into the walls of each room.  These are for air-conditioning units.
2.      Decide on the number of bathrooms you need in your house and double it.  This is because at any given time, only half of the bathrooms in your new home will be in working order.
3.      Be prepared to see an eclectic arrangement of bathroom colors:  a mauve toilet with a royal blue toilet seat and a mint green sink s not unusual.  Don’t let this bother you.
4.      Do not assume anything. . . ask if there is hot water, electricity, and a telephone line.
5.      Ask the age of the lighting fixtures and electrical wiring.  (Our lights were brought over by the Spaniards in the 14th Century.)
6.     Has the agent seen the landlord since 1970 or is the rent sent to a post office box abroad?  (This could be important if your lease says the landlord needs to approve any repairs to the house.)
7.     Be able to identify the telltale signs of active termite population
* we have this8.     Ask if there are any keys for the 127 different locks on the doors, gates, window, etc.  Make sure you label which key belongs to which lock.
9.     Determine if there is a water storage tank and a pumping system to get the water from the storage tank into the house.  Make sure you (or someone in your household) knows how this works.
10.                        Ask if the above mentioned system is currently in working order.  Once you are in your house, you will begin the interesting and frustrating job of trying to get “settled”.
Most newcomers have at least a million questions.  I have put together my ten favorite questions.
*still don't have a good answer for this one1.      Do you need a jackhammer or an electric drill with a diamond drill bit to hang a picture on a concrete wall?
2.     What do you do with the five inch gap between the new air conditioner and the hole in the wall?
*Greg has plans for these but nothing that I have let him do3.     Am I responsible for the five stray cats that are living on the property?
4.     Which outlets are for 110 volt and which are for 220 volt?  Is there any outlet that is wired different from the rest of the house and can you tell me which outlet that would be?
5.     Where do I bring appliances to be repaired after I have answered Question Number 4 incorrectly?
*someone from Greg's office told us6.     Where do you buy those little things that change a flat pronged plug into a round pronged plug and vice versa?
*our yardman was using scissors/clippers and has borrowed a mower7.     Do I need to buy a lawnmower or should I let the gardener continue to cut the grass with scissors?
*with rowdy kids we are just enjoying extra space for them to run in without breaking things 8.     How many large baskets do I need to buy at the bazaar before a large room will seem “cozy and inviting” vs. “large and cavernous”?
*Thankfully Greg's company has one of these that we can call and just have to pay for the materials he needs-Greg loves the no more "honey-do list"9.     Can I hire a “live-in” handyman to keep up with all the “little things” that need to be done?
*I don't feel this way anymore but admit that I did for a while10.                        When can I move back into the hotel I was so anxious to leave just a month ago?

No comments:

Post a Comment