Saturday, September 3, 2011

Bible Study Fellowship

I had been part of the night women's BSF class in Greenville when I taught school before Scott was born and I loved it-a really great structure and class that teaches you to study the Bible on your own.  I knew that there were classes all over the world and was excited to find one near us in Manila.  I went to class on Thursday and it was a great place to visit-set up exactly like the class I was part of in Greenville.  This year's study is the Acts of the Apostles.  This was their second week to meet and after the introduction class I got to listen to their teaching leader's lecture about Preparation for the Coming of the Holy Spirit in Acts 1. 

Emma-the Teaching Leader-talked about recognizing our inability to do anything in our own strength and asked "what job in your life feels too big to do on your own?"  She talked about trusting God to supply all your needs so we can do the work He has called us to do.

My favorite illustration that she used was-Is God your driver or just a passenger?  This spoke to me in a different way now that I am not the one doing the driving around each day.  Our family's driver, Chris, is a really nice guy that takes reat care of us.  He is almost always at my disposal whenever I want to go somewhere, but it is still a strange feeling and a sense of giving up control to not drive.  That is the way it is with God too.  We are supposed to let God do the driving.

Emma also talked about what the disciples did while waiting on God to work-they met and prayed and carried on with their work as disciples.  They weren't sitting around whining and griping about their circumstances.  She ended with the principle that prayer is an important part of waiting for God to reveal the next step of obedience.  I really enjoyed Thursdays class and now need to pray that their is space for me and for Ashley in their great preschool Bible class so we can go back next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment