Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Favorite Books

If you have known me any length of time at all you know that I love books and reading!  I have to share about a few fun kids' books I have found recently.

1.  Wild About Books-by Judy Sierra and illustrated by Marc Brown (who does the Arthur books)-it's about a librarian who stumbles into the zoo with her bookmobile and teaches all the animals to love books and it rhymes-a great read!

2.  The Humphrey the hamster books by Betty Birney-these are chapter books that a friend at school told me about when she heard that we had gotten hamsters for Christmas.  I am reading the first one out loud to the kids and it is so good that even Ashley will listen-I normally lose her attention when there aren't pictures to look at.  Humphrey is a class pet and he is the storyteller and has some great adventures.  Google the author-she has a nice website.  Books available on Amazon.

3.  Also if you have new readers-The Magic Treehouse Series is awesome.  Greg laughs at me for this but the books are fun (about 2 kids who travel through time and to different places in their treehouse) but they also teach kids about different time periods and cultures.  In the first one Ryan read to me, Jack and Annie (who live in Pennsylvania) travel to Kansas and meet a Lakota Indian boy, meet his tribe, see their camp, and learn about buffalo.  There are also (even nerdier according to Greg) research guides to go along with some of the books-non-fiction books that tell more about the event or time period-one about dinosaurs, the Titanic, various other animals, etc.

Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment