Saturday, July 30, 2011

The Saga of the Dryer

New valves fixed the washing machine but then I went to dry my first load of clothes.  I started on low heat because someone had warned me that dryers here were hotter and I didn't want to shrink all our clothes.  So I didn't think too much of it when the clothes weren't dry.  I just went back outside and started the dryer again-their is a canvas covering to the area where the dryer is.  It ran another cycle on medium and still weren't dry.  I still wasn't too worried but just turned it up to high and ran it again.  I could feel the dryer was putting out heat but the clothes still weren't dry so I ran them 3 or 4 more times and then finally brought them in the house and stretched them out in various places to dry.  We have a clothesline outside but of course don't have any clothespins.  In the last 2 weeks we have had people out to look at the dryer 5 times (as of today 7-30).  They have told me to dry half the load at a time-I had a fairly small load of clothes but tried what they said.  It didn't make any difference.  Then another tech came out, didn't really have anything new to tell me.  Someone else came and said that they thought we need to just replace the unit. 

The 2 guys who came on Thursday needed a wrench they didn't have with them to adjust something.  They came back today, with the right wrench, and made the adjustment.  They weren't sure that it would work but wanted us to try it before they replaced the unit.  After we got home this afternoon, I put a load of clothes in to wash and went to start the washer, it wouldn't start-I couldn't help but laugh.  I called Greg outside to help.  He laughed too and then went to get his screwdrivers-the only tools we brought in our luggage.  He took off the plate where the guys had been adjusting the dryer earlier and found another wire they had knocked loose in the process.  Once he re-connected that the washer came on and we actually dried a load of clothes for the first time tonight!  Yeah!

No comments:

Post a Comment