Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Ryan's birthday-so far

 This was Friday, March 8th and we got a little cake to celebrate with our family and these funny Japanese ice cream balls.
 The cake was FULL with 8 candles.  We are having a party in a couple of Saturdays with a few of Ryan's classmates and will meet to play lasertag at the mall, eat lunch at Chili's and come back to our house to eat cupcakes.




 The ice cream balls were interesting-Ashley had pink strawberry, we also tried cookies and cream, caramel, cookie dough, and chocolate

 Ryan got a transformer from the Gregorys
 Star Wars legos from Grammy and the Gross family


 and this lego police boat from us that Greg hid from him to play a joke!
 It really floats, is very cool, and Ryan didn't even want to eat any dinner after having cake and an ice cream ball so we just let him start on building his legos.  Greg says that he reminded him of me when I was opening books as gifts as a child.  Mom said that she started making me open books last because I would open one, stop opening, and ignore whoever was there and the rest of the gifts and activities and open my book and start reading!
 We ate some quick leftover pizza from the night before when one of Greg's co-workers, his wife, mother in law, daughter, and grandson came over to swim.  Their extended family is visiting from Australia, and we decided to have an impromptu pizza picnic by the pool while the kids swam.  It was fun to meet them and our kids loved playing with 4 year old Thomas!



and then the lego building began!  We decided that it was mean to let him open these on Sunday and have to go back to school the next day so he enjoyed his gifts all weekend!

 Greg says that we have too many legos but I think he was having just as much fun as Ryan and Scott
 We went out to lunch at Chili's after church and someone else was getting sung to for their birthday in the restaurant.  Ryan's face lit up and he said "can I have them sing to me too?"  How could we say no to that?  This strikes me as funny because of all 3 of our kids Ryan is the quietest and most reserved yet he loves the birthday singing and craziness in a restaurant-we did this last year at TGI Friday's!  and also funny because Greg would rather die than have anything remotely like this done to him!

About Chili's though-something funny happened to me recently.  It is a restaurant we all really like but we don't eat there THAT often.  One day Greg and I went out to lunch and he really wanted to eat at Chili's so we did.  The very next day I was going to lunch with some girlfriends and they chose Chili's too.  When I left that day either the hostess or waitress said "see you tomorrow ma'am" as I left and I told her I didn't think so that my husband has chosen the restaurant yesterday and my friends today but that I would be back sometime.  Last week I was walking through the mall courtyard, passed Chili's and a waiter waved and smiled at me through the window!  I told Greg about this and said that I felt less of an oddity here these days than at the beginning of our time in Manila and then something like this happens.  I guess we really do still stick out like sore thumbs!  There is always something to laugh about!

No comments:

Post a Comment