Sunday, March 25, 2012

Another Awesome Book I found

at the Brent School Library.  The title is very catchy

There is a world map in the front of the book and there are stories about unique libraries in many countries-boats, mobile ones in trucks, converted train cars, boats, books by mail, elephants in Thailand-made me appreciate our awesome Greenville County Public Libraries more than I already did.  Though our school library is terrific (John Steven Gurney-the illustrator of the A to Z, Capital, and Calendar Mysteries and author of Dinosaur Train-not connected with the tv show is coming to visit and sign books in April) they limit parents to checking out 10 books at a time.  When I told Greg that he laughed because I always had at least triple that checked out at home.  He would often tease me and ask when someone from the library was going to call and ask for their stock back or threaten to put a branch library sign out in the yard.  I can't help-my mom and grandmother read to me A TON when I was little and it stuck!

Anyway if you are looking for something interesting to read to your kids, My Librarian is a Camel is great.  The same author has another book entitled My School in the Rainforest:  How Children Attend School Around the World.  I need to see if it is available in the Brent Library too.

It is hilarious to me what kids remember and associations they make. 

One of the unusual libraries mentioned in this book and a country marked on the map at the front is Peru.  At its mention Ashley immediately said "that's where Paddington Bear came from Mommy, darkest Peru" and she was right. 

She also recently overheard me asking Chris, our driver, to tell Elmer (the man in charge of arranging all the drivers at Greg's office) for a driver on Saturday.  Ashley said "Elmer, the elephant?"  meaning the patchwork one who is always playing jokes on his elephant friends.  Even Chris got this and was laughing to himself as I explained to Ashley that this Elmer was a person and as far as I knew there were no patchwork elephants who worked at Daddy's office.  They are truly little sponges, soaking up all that they hear!

No comments:

Post a Comment