Monday, December 12, 2011

Gingerbread Men times 3

I love The Gingerbread Man story and all the sequels and adaptations-Gingerbread Girl, Jan Brett's Gingerbread Baby and Friends (beautiful pictures!), Gingerbread Cowboy. . .

I decided that I would make gingerbread men and decorate them with all 3 kids classes and read to them this year.  The hardest part was getting something scheduled with teachers because of so much going on right around Christmas.  It has been fun with all 3 groups-different but fun with all!

 One of my helpers-very intently working
 some of the results
 No they are not exhibiting my gingerbread for all to see at school-it was a Christmas art exhibit

 Scott's classroom-whoever wanted to could eat lunch in the classroom one day and help decorate the tree
 A really neat thing Scott's teacher does so that the kids can get to know each other better
 It had been Scott's turn this week-I took the picture below so our cousins Katie and Ian could see they were on the bulletin board eating ice cream at Grammy's house all the way in Manila
 We sat in the reading corner and we talked about the original story, about the White House in the US made of gingerbread one year, Jan Brett books, and then I read them Gingerbread Baby and Gingerbread Friends.
 1st group-beginning to decorate

 Yes you can eat the gingerbread man after I take your picture!
 Scott's teacher showing her creation



Moving on to preschool!

I was outside and heard Ashley's teacher complimenting her on her special candy cane-The children are getting ready to practice their Christmas Program dance-I know it will be entertaining!  Am not quite sure what this face is about but as usual, it makes me laugh!
 All of them appear to be doing abstract art that day-Ashley's is on the left with the line of sequins and all the stripes at the bottom but I laughed that none of them looked like an actual candy cane does.

 Dancing together!  The letter of the day was O and they made the purple octopus pictures hanging behind them.

 Don't let people take pictures of you while you read-you are always making funny faces.  I read her class only the original story and had them help me say the part "run run as fast as you can, you can't catch me I'm the gingerbread man" while they tapped their hands on their legs like running feet.
 Decorating their cookies


Group 3-1st graders-I read this group Gingerbread Baby and Gingerbread Friends which they seemed to enjoy in spite of their so close to Christmas antsiness!  They loved decorating and eating the cookies-as soon as they saw me, the kids started saying "are you here for cookies????"  It made me laugh.



 We read, we decorated, we ate cookies, and then we colored.  I love this little girl's snowman headband!  It is still funny to me that you can buy stuff with snowmen on it here!
 Then we colored gingerbread boys and girls to take home.  Someone even suggested cutting them out, putting them on a stick, and making puppet shows with them.

We all had a good time and I am glad that there were some gingerbread men left over because I think I have made enough of those for this year!  This is also a great gingerbread flavor recipe if you don't want to make the men to decorate-
Gingerbread White Chocolate Muffins
These are mini muffins and you really do have to bake them as long as the recipe says!Adapted from Allrecipes.com

Printer Friendly Version

Ingredients:

  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 cup molasses
  • 2 1/2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup hot water
  • 1-12 ounce bag white chocolate chips
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray 2 muffin pans with baking spray.
  2. In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, cloves and salt.
  3. In the bowl of an electric mixer, on medium high speed, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
  4. Beat in the egg until well combined. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
  5. Mix in the molasses until incorporated.
  6. With the mixer on low, slowly add the dry ingredients to the batter, scraping down sides of the bowl as necessary.
  7. Stir in the hot water.
  8. Stir in the white chocolate chips.
  9. Pour batter into muffin tins, filling each cup about 2/3 of the way full.
  10. Bake for 20-23 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, there may be a few crumbs.
  11. Allow to cool in the tins on a wire rack until completely cool. 
  12. Remove muffins from pan, serve and enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment