Monday, April 29, 2013

Something cool in our school library!

I laughed when I checked out this book at the school library to read to Ashley-Greg's grandmother, Helen Elliott, used to run Peachtree Publishers, followed by Greg's Uncle Wayne.  I need to ask and find out who is running the company now.

I never had the privilege of meeting Grandmother Elliott but love hearing Greg's stories of how they had very formal Sunday lunches at their house and we have many Peachtree Publisher books.  I have read newspaper articles about her and think that it is really neat that she knew Ferrol Sams and Lewis Grizzard because she published their books.  I loved hearing about Bev trying to copy her recipe for a special cake that she made for Larry's birthday, having trouble with the icing, and loading up all the children to go to Grandmother Elliott's for a lesson.  Through Larry, Uncle Wayne, Aunt Gretchen, and Aunt Nancy I have gotten glimpses of this beautiful Southern lady!  Also because of their gifts Greg and I are privileged to have her silver tea service (which is staying with Bev while we are in Manila) and LOTS of Peachtree Publisher books.

Another cool thing that Greg and I discovered a few years after we got married was that Peachtree Publishers published a children's book called If I had a Wistful Unicorn and it was a favorite of Greg's when he was little.  My mom and grandmother got me a copy autographed by the author when it came out!  A neat childhood connection!  I look forward to meeting this sweet lady in Heaven one day and had fun telling the kids about their great grandmother who published books!

Here are 2 lovely pictures of her!


No comments:

Post a Comment